following the Pooh way

Tell us about your interest in Taoism. How did you find the Tao and what it means to you? Are you a practitioner? What you hope to attain through your practice?

Moderator: laotan

Lance

Re: following the Pooh way

Post by Lance »

A couple people have latched onto a phrase I used in one of my posts and have analyzed it. The phrase I used was "consciously following the Tao."

I knew this wording was problematic when I typed it, but I was at a loss for a clearer way of explaining myself, so rather than getting caught up in semantics I just typed it as it came to me.

If you want to really want to get analytical, let's all discuss what is meant by consciousness. ;)

NonTien

Post by NonTien »

"The Tao is ineffable and beyond human comprehension; thus it is spoken and written about as nameless, formless, and obscure, with the help of contradictory metaphors and paradoxes. To speak or write about the Tao is, in fact, to "Tao" it - something that cannot possibly succeed, yet has to be continuously attempted if there is to be a teaching in its name.
The Tao, if we then try to grasp it, can be described as the organic order underlying and structuring and pervading all existance. It is organic in that it is not willful, but it is order because it changes in predictable rhythms and orderly patterns. If one is to approach it, reason and the intellect have to be left behind.

One can only intuit it when one has become as nameless and as free of conscious choices and evaluations as the Tao itself."

The Taoist Experience -

laotan

Post by laotan »

Lance wrote:A couple people have latched onto a phrase I used in one of my posts and have analyzed it. The phrase I used was "consciously following the Tao."

I knew this wording was problematic when I typed it, but I was at a loss for a clearer way of explaining myself, so rather than getting caught up in semantics I just typed it as it came to me.

If you want to really want to get analytical, let's all discuss what is meant by consciousness. ;)
I don't intend to discuss what consciousness is. I already explained what it means in the Tao context.

skyladye

Post by skyladye »

One of the main differences between Christians and Taoists is the issue of flexibility. Christians have absolute rules and Taoist don't. Most people find security in a ridgid, structured environment or method. Taoists are content to go with the flow not knowing what is next or exactly how tomorrow will be.

laotan

Post by laotan »

skyladye wrote:One of the main differences between Christians and Taoists is the issue of flexibility. Christians have absolute rules and Taoist don't. Most people find security in a ridgid, structured environment or method. Taoists are content to go with the flow not knowing what is next or exactly how tomorrow will be.
Of course, this is it. Taoists are flexible as they follow the Way or Tao.

Lance

Post by Lance »

Just flowing thru as I meander down one of life's little tributaries. It's a quiet little place here; just an observation. Everyday I'm tao-ing the tao, better & better the less I know how...