interested in Taoism since 18

Tell us about your interest in Taoism. How did you find the Tao and what it means to you? Are you a practitioner? What you hope to attain through your practice?

Moderator: laotan

taoskins

interested in Taoism since 18

Post by taoskins »

Interested in Taoism since I was 18. First reading of Tao te ching a rusiian version translated into my planguage. I was fascinated. The book seem so strange and also so familiar. I soon start to collect more information about Lao tzu. Now I think the Way is my Way.

Lance

Re: interested in Taoism since 18

Post by Lance »

Hi, Taoskins. I must have been about 18 the first time I read the Tao Te Ching also. 1989--I bought it from my college library for 25 cents (American money). They were going to throw it in the garbage if nobody bought it. It was an old, beat up copy and the pages were turning yellow but I kept it and read it over and over for about 10 years. Actually I don't own my own copy of it currently. I should seek out a good translation.

Joseph

Post by Joseph »

Hello Lance:
I've been reading Lao Tsu's Tao Te Ching since 1965 and have found many interesting translations. I recommend the work by Gia-Fu Feng and Jane English published in 1972 by Vintage Books.
Best regards.

Lance

Post by Lance »

Thanks, Joseph, I'll check it out! :)

taoskins

Post by taoskins »

Lance wrote:Hi, Taoskins. I must have been about 18 the first time I read the Tao Te Ching also. 1989--I bought it from my college library for 25 cents (American money). They were going to throw it in the garbage if nobody bought it. It was an old, beat up copy and the pages were turning yellow but I kept it and read it over and over for about 10 years. Actually I don't own my own copy of it currently. I should seek out a good translation.
There's no such thing like a good translation. You should use many translations and have your own experience with tao in order to grasp the inner meaning of the text.

Bewilderness

Post by Bewilderness »

Joseph wrote:Hello Lance:
I've been reading Lao Tsu's Tao Te Ching since 1965 and have found many interesting translations. I recommend the work by Gia-Fu Feng and Jane English published in 1972 by Vintage Books.
Best regards.
I agree with Joseph. That was the first translation I came across. Might I also recommend Ursula Le Guin's poetic interpretation of the Tao Te Ching, published by Shambhala, and Ray Grigg's The Tao of Zen published by Tuttle? I would also add that anything written by Alan Watts on Taoism is well worth the reading.

Best wishes
Lesley