Does Taoism have a Concept of Self?

Here you can talk about the main Taoist topics such as Tao, Yin-Yang, Wu, Wu-Wei.

Moderator: laotan

laotan

Re: Does Taoism have a Concept of Self?

Post by laotan »

I don't think there's something related to the self in the Taoist literature, I mean Tao-te ching, Chuang-tzu and Lieh-tzu. Taoists are rather interested in the disciple to conform with the Tao than talking about what self is and things like that. In meditation they follow the contemplation of facts and the roots. They are interested in advancing and retreating and things like that. Perhaps other religious sects are interested in the self and its afterlife destiny. I don't know for sure.

one talk each day

Post by one talk each day »

laotan wrote:I don't think there's something related to the self in the Taoist literature, I mean Tao-te ching, Chuang-tzu and Lieh-tzu. Taoists are rather interested in the disciple to conform with the Tao than talking about what self is and things like that. In meditation they follow the contemplation of facts and the roots. They are interested in advancing and retreating and things like that. Perhaps other religious sects are interested in the self and its afterlife destiny. I don't know for sure.
Are you discounting the text, The Secret of the Golden Flower, which is taoist?

laotan

Post by laotan »

You didn't read my post as it should. I already named the main sources - Tao-te ching and co - and concluded:
Perhaps other religious sects are interested in the self and its afterlife destiny. I don't know for sure.
One can't simply know what all Taoist sects believed and wrote. They are hundreds!!!
I know of the Secret ... perhaps you should quote here a few fragments to comment upon. I read the book years ago.

anna_irina

Post by anna_irina »

Neither does Buddhism have a concept of self. Buddha's teachings say that the self represents the illusion created by something that does not last, and is constantly changing. Here there is a similarity with Taoist teachings judging from your post. According to Buddhism, man needs to detach from the world, and not wish to transform it.

laotan

Post by laotan »

anna_irina wrote:Neither does Buddhism have a concept of self. Buddha's teachings say that the self represents the illusion created by something that does not last, and is constantly changing. Here there is a similarity with Taoist teachings judging from your post. According to Buddhism, man needs to detach from the world, and not wish to transform it.
Buddhism and Taoism merged and form a new teaching called Ch'an.