Beads and mantras?

Here you can talk about the main Taoist topics such as Tao, Yin-Yang, Wu, Wu-Wei.

Moderator: laotan

Harper Is Here 777

Beads and mantras?

Post by Harper Is Here 777 »

I am currently staying on Wundang Mountain and visiting the various temples here. Among the many tourists are some serious practitioners of Taoism as well as priests and instructors. I have noticed some people using prayer beads - sitting quietly counting beads on a thread, presumably while maintaining an internal mantra. There are also sets of prayer beads for sale in all the shops. My question is: what mantra are they likely to be using? There is not the slightest hint of anything Buddhist here - this is a thoroughly Taoist enclave - so I doubt they will be using the familiar Buddhist mantra Om mani padre hum, or similar. Can someone provide some informed account of the Taoist use of prayer beads and mantra as a technique? I can't find any iformation on this. Thanks. - Harper

laotan

Re: Beads and mantras?

Post by laotan »

Harper Is Here 777 wrote:I am currently staying on Wundang Mountain and visiting the various temples here. Among the many tourists are some serious practitioners of Taoism as well as priests and instructors. I have noticed some people using prayer beads - sitting quietly counting beads on a thread, presumably while maintaining an internal mantra. There are also sets of prayer beads for sale in all the shops. My question is: what mantra are they likely to be using? There is not the slightest hint of anything Buddhist here - this is a thoroughly Taoist enclave - so I doubt they will be using the familiar Buddhist mantra Om mani padre hum, or similar. Can someone provide some informed account of the Taoist use of prayer beads and mantra as a technique? I can't find any iformation on this. Thanks. - Harper
I couldn't know what is their mantra. How could I? Taoism has many practices and many people just follow secret ways and so forth. Why don't you ask them?