what tao teaches me

Here you can talk about the main Taoist topics such as Tao, Yin-Yang, Wu, Wu-Wei.

Moderator: laotan

searcher

what tao teaches me

Post by searcher »

something..
mysteriously formed...
before heaven and earth....
silence and the void...
standing alone and unchanging...
ever present and in motion...

perhaps it is the mother of 10,000things...

i do not know its name....
some call it GOD some call it allah,some jehovah...some the great spirit...many different names...
i call it ...tao....
for the lack of a better word...
i call it great...
(from the tv series kung fu/w exception of couple things added)

tao teaches us to rid of ego, for all ego is ,is
Edging God Out...
teaches us..let go and let god
(dr.wayne dyer/living the wisdom of tao)

under heaven,all can see beauty as beauty,only becouse thier is ugliness
all can know good as good,becouse thier is evil
being and non being produce each other
the difficult is born into the easy
long defined by short,the high by the low/before and after go along with each other.
verse 2 of the tao te ching explains, to me any ways, that opposits are part of understanding the whole. how can we understand what is good and peacefull, without knowing the facts of evil and chaotic?...with the cold of winter,follows the warmth of summer..male and female combine as one..opposites,no matter how much we may not care for one or the other, is the balance of all nature.. we will never understand why the cruelty of things in life take place, but it is that that makes us understand what we find proper,love,and appreciations.

the tao does nothing,
but leaves nothing undone..

now how cool is that?!? my findings and consistant descovering of tao.i could prob go on and on lol.

other opinions and thoughts are welcome to learn from

laotan

Re: what tao teaches me

Post by laotan »

searcher wrote:something..

tao teaches us to rid of ego, for all ego is ,is
Edging God Out...
teaches us..let go and let god
(dr.wayne dyer/living the wisdom of tao)

under heaven,all can see beauty as beauty,only becouse thier is ugliness
all can know good as good,becouse thier is evil
being and non being produce each other
the difficult is born into the easy
long defined by short,the high by the low/before and after go along with each other.
verse 2 of the tao te ching explains, to me any ways, that opposits are part of understanding the whole. how can we understand what is good and peacefull, without knowing the facts of evil and chaotic?...with the cold of winter,follows the warmth of summer..male and female combine as one..opposites,no matter how much we may not care for one or the other, is the balance of all nature.. we will never understand why the cruelty of things in life take place, but it is that that makes us understand what we find proper,love,and appreciations.

the tao does nothing,
but leaves nothing undone..

now how cool is that?!? my findings and consistant descovering of tao.i could prob go on and on lol.

other opinions and thoughts are welcome to learn from
1. Well the point with the ego doesn't seem to come from the Taoist thinking. Perhaps you name a place where one can find this idea of getting rid of it.

2. Related to the understanding the whole: one should retain from going out to the limit of something. Things change forever as they are not static. I think this is the point in that verse. Alan Watts has an explanation close to mine in his book Tao:The Watercourse Way. You may read it with great benefit.

3. TheTao does nothing for the sake of something. I think the meaning here is close to the genuine verse. You think this is still cool? I am not sure. It is simple and evident like that. You can find in the Christian gnosticism the same idea (in gospel of Thomas, for example).

searcher

Post by searcher »

1.ive learned the idea of ridding the ego from studies of dr.wayne dyer....i have taken his view,thru his studies of tao, that, to me, this means realizing that we are not the top of the pile. all things take place(if that a good way to put it) thru just allowing them to happen.. to try to act by our own nature and allow others(people and nature)to act according to thiers without interfering... not in the sense of letting a child go rampant when they need guidence or disapline,
or not offering help or a teaching if our kindness is thier to do so, but also to trust an accept what is around us and we are part of, instead of,bulldozing our way thru,over worrying bout what we cant change, and just trusting in our source,that things take place,and things will pass.,,try to rid ourself of E,dging G,od
O,ut and just trust what is. if i was able to make sense of this best i can.

2.i agree. things constantly change and and are in motion not to remain static. how ever, the 2nd verse tells me that opposites are a balance of life and nature. and the balance is i guess what i called the whole...i will get that book the water way course. i will probably enjoy it .thank you

3.the tao does nothing for the sake of something.. i find it cool as intreging. im not good with christian scriptures as id like to be,but it is my understanding a lot of tao is in the bible. any way as i thought of this what made sense was as in example a tree lets say.....growing from seedling into life,,never a branch fighting for its space never a leaf fighting for its place.yet when complete.. a full,blossimed tree.....the ta does nothing...allowing it to to what it does... when full and beautifull...the tao left nothing undone. this is what i see from these words. am i misguided?

laotan

Post by laotan »

1. Sorry I don't know who dr wayne is. Is he a philosophy doctor or a Sinologist? Is he a medical dr or what?
Trying to go with the flow - to follow the words of Alan Watts - is what Taoists teaches us. If your dr is teaching the same thing then it is OK. Still there's some misunderstanding regarding what we mean by going with the flow. Perhaps one should ask himself what this flow is and things like that. Depending on his answer to this question one may be sure he follows the Taoist teachings rather than doctors' studies.

2. There'sa certain balance in life despite what seems to us to happen in the world today. Still one doesn't have to link the idea of balance with some Christian concept of harmony or God blessing feature. In this respect, one should ask himself what the Taoist balance mean? He'll find new things and somehow startling as Taoism is not a copy of Christian philosophy.

3.Your example of tree lead us to think of natural. This is not Tao in its specific sense. You may find more about the tree at Chuang Tzu. He has a story about a tree on a hill. You should read that story and take your time to meditate on the meaning. Things are not so... natural as you think.

taoskins

Post by taoskins »

searcher wrote:
3.the tao does nothing for the sake of something.. i find it cool as intreging. im not good with christian scriptures as id like to be,but it is my understanding a lot of tao is in the bible. any way as i thought of this what made sense was as in example a tree lets say.....growing from seedling into life,,never a branch fighting for its space never a leaf fighting for its place.yet when complete.. a full,blossimed tree.....the ta does nothing...allowing it to to what it does... when full and beautifull...the tao left nothing undone. this is what i see from these words. am i misguided?
The meaning of the tree of the mountain story has been explained in the Taoist course at Tao Initiation by The Way of Perfect Emptiness. You may ttake the course and find what is about. They also give a course on the I Ching and Tao Meditation. I never found something alike on the net.

searcher

Post by searcher »

wayne dyer is very much the same as alan watts ( except a.w. puts me to sleep). the same talk as just allowing, i.e. your heart beats becouse it does. you dont force it you dont regulate it it just beats cuz thats what it does...dyer explain this as just allowing ,dont stuggle over everything, learn to let things happen as /when they will, etc..
i agree with you that taoism is not a copy of christian philosophy. i believe this may be also whats drawing me to it also..its my understanding also that the tao te ching was written some 500 yrs+before the bible.. i myself dont see tao as a form of religion,but more a spiritual path...a way of living in harmony with ourselfs,helping or governing others properly[ie a good leader stands behind the people not in front of them] etc. no matter what paths or beliefs or no beliefs, we already know inside us whats right and wrong... am i wrong to think some of tao lessons are to help us pay more attention to what we already know? or to strengthen our weaknesses, and be softer when need be?......many different things im trying to learn and understand

searcher

Post by searcher »

you tube;wayne dyer living the wisdom of the tao
you tube;wayne dyer change your thoughts change your life 5part video
you tube;opera super soul sunday/guest ....
youtube;wayne dyer the shift

aside from some books these are some of what have been teaching me of tao

laotan

Post by laotan »

searcher wrote:you tube;wayne dyer living the wisdom of the tao
you tube;wayne dyer change your thoughts change your life 5part video
you tube;opera super soul sunday/guest ....
youtube;wayne dyer the shift

aside from some books these are some of what have been teaching me of tao
Sorry I'm not an youtube addicted.

laotan

Post by laotan »

searcher wrote:wayne dyer is very much the same as alan watts ( except a.w. puts me to sleep). the same talk as just allowing, i.e. your heart beats becouse it does. you dont force it you dont regulate it it just beats cuz thats what it does...dyer explain this as just allowing ,dont stuggle over everything, learn to let things happen as /when they will, etc..
It sems quite normal to have the same talk because A. W. made it possible through publishing his ideas about this matter. Now people seem to speak the way A.W. spoke. This is the way things happen. The same many will talk like Jesus talked just because there was a Jesus who talked that way, and so forth.
AS for the meaning of the entire dscussion it is a little bit other. The heart beats as it beats but doesn't lead us to think of Tao this way. Tao doesn't equal what is natural becasue it is natural. Tao is more or less than a heart that beats becouse it does.

People today love very much nature or the return to the nature. But this is not Tao just looking at things and say: How simple, how fascinating! The today aim at nature is just a part of the Tao! The same, the vice versa. The Sage is not a contemplative guy ready to discover with excitement the natural in things. The entire picture is a little bit more complicated.

searcher

Post by searcher »

ok makes sense as i think on it. as a beginner into the tao i do see and learn a lot more than being connected to nature,as i was trying to use these examples of what ive learned thus far.. also to me we try to talk about or explain what cant allways be explained.[such as the tao that can be told is not the eternal tao]..i thank you for your response and hope to keep gaining and learning more from your help on this little journey of mine. :)