taoism is much more than tao te ching

Here you can talk about the main Taoist topics such as Tao, Yin-Yang, Wu, Wu-Wei.

Moderator: laotan

arnab_banerjee

taoism is much more than tao te ching

Post by arnab_banerjee »

friends

many people believe that only tao te ching and books of chuang tzu, lieh tzu can explain tao. but taoism is much more than them. taoism includes shamanism, healing, rituals of which people know very little. i have seen some videos of taoist rituals and shamanism. so i think we do not know the taoism in full/ completely.

laotan

Re: taoism is much more than tao te ching

Post by laotan »

Taoism refers to tao-chia and the Tao te Ching or Lao Tzu. There are lots of other views and practices but what is worth is that we have a book that systemized a way of life that we can call Taoism. This is what we name teaching and we pratice in our daily life.

arnab_banerjee

Post by arnab_banerjee »

taoism has alchemy, medicine, chi exercise, meditation, shamanic ritual. i found this much of taoism apart from tao te ching. i don't know how much more would be there left undiscovered.

since taoism is a way of life, everything that is needed for life must be there in taoism. we should find it out to understand taoism completely.

laotan

Post by laotan »

The word Taoism includes both the tao-chia and the tao-chiao, that is, the philosophical school and the mystical school. Still the Tao Te Ching is a book of guidance who may help people find their way out of confusion by following the Taoist teachings. Other mystical schools are following the aim of acquiring the immortality which is not the same thing. They do that through birth exercises, sexual practices, and alchemy (that is, by eating a special elixir).
To conclude: One may say that Taoism is not only Tao Te Ching but accept in the same time that Tao Te Ching is the core of Taoism.