What is Taoism

Here you can talk about the main Taoist topics such as Tao, Yin-Yang, Wu, Wu-Wei.

Moderator: laotan

taoistfriend
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:28 am

Re: What is Taoism

Post by taoistfriend »

Tao is the chaotic combination of yin & yang, or oneness. Since yin is not yin but yin is yang, and yang is not yang, but yang is yin, so the combination of yin & yang lead tao to be chaotic. Since tao is chaotic, it has 2 sides: nothingness & everythingness.
What is yin & yang ? Yin is what negative. Badness, weakness, back, softness, shadow, women, shame, failure … are yin.Yang is what positive.Goodness, front, hardness, light, men, glory, victory, … are yang. Some stories below show that yin is yang & yang is yin:
1. The king of So state wanted to nominate Confucius to be the ruler of an area of land which had 700 ly (a ly was a group of 25 families). The head of officials of So was Tu Tay asked:

- Among your messengers you send to other states, is there anyone as good as Tu Cong ?
- No
- Among people helping you, is there anyone as good as Nhan Hoi ?
- No.
- Among your generals, is there anyone as good as Tu Lo ?
- No.
- Among your officials, is there anyone as good as Te Du ?
- No
- Not only that, ancestors of So state was appointed only the title “viscount” and fifty miles of land (meaning So state had been small and had only been viscount, but at the moment, was a powerful state). Now Confucius follows The Three King’s laws. If we use him, how can So has thousands of miles of land forever? Van Vuong in Phong land, Vu Vuong in Cao Land were only kings having hundred miles of land, but lastly, they became emperors. Now, Confucius has a piece of land to make a base, and he has good disciples (Tu Cong, Nhan Hoi, Tu Lo, Te Du) to help. That is not blessing of So.

Chieu Vuong King stopped.
Confucius always fell into disfavour, because if he had had a small state, he would have ruled that state well. Other states would have followed him. Kings of big states, ambitious to be hegemony – who king doesn’t want himself to be “great” – so those kings would have been overturned. Confucius was so dangerous. Good conduct is dangerous and evil.
2. Ngo Van Linh, 41, living in Danang, Vietnam, worked as a single taxi driver with an old motorcycle. At noon 17th December 2004, he was having lunch at home, leaving the motorcycle in the veranda, unlocked. A thief came, started the engine then ran away. The whole family saw that, shouted out loudly then ran after the thief. But Linh was still … phlegmatic, still said:”Run after him slowly, don’t run fast to be tired. He can not steal that vehicle!”. As he said, the vehicle ran just a section of way, then stopped;the engine didn’t work. The thief was frightened, left the motorcycle then ran for his life. Everybody was surprised , asked Linh whether he had a mysterious device for the vehicle. He smiled inanely:”Oh, this motorcle has many illness. He who isn’t familiar with it, can’t ride it.”

A bad motorcycle is hard to be or never can be stolen. Thus, badness is goodness.
Yin always goes with yang & conversely yang always goes with ying. Goodness always goes with badness, consequently, goodness and badness are oneness, like two sides of a note. Similarly, the front and the back are oneness; the inner and the outer are oneness; blessing and disasters are oneness; glory and shame are oneness; etc. In general yin and yang are oneness. All are oneness; nothing is out of oneness. Oneness is the universal truth, or Tao (Dao). To be enlightened in Daoism is to see oneness. Oneness is the united of everything. Since two elements of oneness, yin and yang, are not clear, as there is yin in yang and there is yang in yin, oneness is chaotic, not clear. In conclusion, Dao is the unity of yin and yang. Yin and yang are two sides of Dao. Dao differentiates into yin and yang.

User avatar
laotan
Posts: 323
Joined: Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:09 pm

Re: What is Taoism

Post by laotan »

taoistfriend wrote:
A bad motorcycle is hard to be or never can be stolen. Thus, badness is goodness.
Yin always goes with yang & conversely yang always goes with ying. Goodness always goes with badness, consequently, goodness and badness are oneness, like two sides of a note. Similarly, the front and the back are oneness; the inner and the outer are oneness; blessing and disasters are oneness; glory and shame are oneness; etc. In general yin and yang are oneness. All are oneness; nothing is out of oneness. Oneness is the universal truth, or Tao (Dao). To be enlightened in Daoism is to see oneness. Oneness is the united of everything. Since two elements of oneness, yin and yang, are not clear, as there is yin in yang and there is yang in yin, oneness is chaotic, not clear. In conclusion, Dao is the unity of yin and yang. Yin and yang are two sides of Dao. Dao differentiates into yin and yang.
There's nothing like a bad motorcycle. Perhaps it is old enough and doesn't attract thieves. Still my old car attracted thieves and had many issues with it. There's no rule here.

You said
To be enlightened in Daoism is to see oneness
but I am not so sure. Enlighting is much more than simply knowing that yin and yang are the 2 elements of the oneness and saying this loudly!

taoistfriend
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:28 am

Re: What is Taoism

Post by taoistfriend »

Your car is still good because it is not bad, old is enough. & goodness is still badness as it is attractive (bad)to thieves. I don't say things loudly in this forum but I just say things neccessary. Lao Tzu, Chuang Tzu, Buddha talked so loudly as they left many books! Actualy, they talked about nothingness, not goodness to be arrogant. Me too, I talk about nothingness, oneness, the chaotic combination of the good & the bad, not goodness of me to be loud unnecessary.
Read Lao, you see he said many times Tao is chaotic. Read Chuang, you see he said Tao is oneness. But are you oneness first ? or are you "the good", or "the bad" , you still have an ego? I am nothingness already, not goodness, remember this!

User avatar
laotan
Posts: 323
Joined: Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:09 pm

Re: What is Taoism

Post by laotan »

taoistfriend wrote:Your car is still good because it is not bad, old is enough. & goodness is still badness as it is attractive (bad)to thieves. I don't say things loudly in this forum but I just say things neccessary. Lao Tzu, Chuang Tzu, Buddha talked so loudly as they left many books! Actualy, they talked about nothingness, not goodness to be arrogant. Me too, I talk about nothingness, oneness, the chaotic combination of the good & the bad, not goodness of me to be loud unnecessary.
Read Lao, you see he said many times Tao is chaotic. Read Chuang, you see he said Tao is oneness. But are you oneness first ? or are you "the good", or "the bad" , you still have an ego? I am nothingness already, not goodness, remember this!
I am not oneness because oneness is just a word like "bad", "good" and "chaotic". I hope you know what I mean. Also it seems to me that your thinking is chaotic too so we can't have a dialogue here. You should learn the silence first then come back and try to explain what you think about what others (Lao-tzu, Chuang-tzu, Buddha) think.

taoistfriend
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:28 am

Re: What is Taoism

Post by taoistfriend »

I make no sound here, or I don't do anything loudly. What I write are Dao, yin, yang,nothingness, everythingness, goodness, badness. I am nothingness, not goodness or the right to be a braggart. I don't need to learn the silence because it is a ridiculous background & I am reticent enough.
First, are you tao, or say it another words, are you a taoist ? If you didn't drink tea, how are you disscussing about tea? It requires enlightenment first, bud.

User avatar
laotan
Posts: 323
Joined: Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:09 pm

Re: What is Taoism

Post by laotan »

taoistfriend wrote:I make no sound here, or I don't do anything loudly. What I write are Dao, yin, yang,nothingness, everythingness, goodness, badness. I am nothingness, not goodness or the right to be a braggart. I don't need to learn the silence because it is a ridiculous background & I am reticent enough.
First, are you tao, or say it another words, are you a taoist ? If you didn't drink tea, how are you disscussing about tea? It requires enlightenment first, bud.
I am not Taoist and I don't drink tea because I don't like tea as I prefer beer instead. This is why I don't bother myself with discussions on tea or Taoist religion. Still if you insist to talk in this chaotic and arrogant manner I shall be forced to cancel your account with this forum. Take some time out and keep silence as your mind is too much oppressed by words. Later on, when the river will slow down, perhaps will be enough for you to start a new learning period with the Taoist classics. Hope I make myself clear.

taoistfriend
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:28 am

Re: What is Taoism

Post by taoistfriend »

You are not a taoist but you talk about tao. Is it right ?

User avatar
laotan
Posts: 323
Joined: Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:09 pm

Re: What is Taoism

Post by laotan »

taoistfriend wrote:You are not a taoist but you talk about tao. Is it right ?
What do you think? - Was Lao-tzu a Taoist? If he was that means he was also a disciple of a master so he was not the father of Taoism. If he wasn't how did he dare to talk about Tao? When someone is oppressed by words like you are he raises this kind of paradox. Thus he sinks more and more into the chaotic thinking. Soon or later he will believe that everything is chaotic inside and outside and would like to convince everybody about this. So he should take a time out and keep silence in order to reach the clearing of mind.

taoistfriend
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:28 am

More about yin and yang.

Post by taoistfriend »

Strength is also weakness. If you sing well, I invite you sing karaoke, you like me. If you like me, I may take advantage of you. Being a king of one hundred battles, win one hundred is a catastrophe. Chinese ancient literature tells us : Once Nguy Van Hau, a king, as Ly Khac, his official:”What is the cause for the Ngo state to be perished ?” Ly Khac answered immediately:”One hundred battles, win one hundred.” Nguy Van Hau was confused. Ly Khac explained:”One hundred battles, people become exhausted. Winning one hundred times, the king become arrogant. An arrogant king rules exhausted people, surely fail.” The strong changes into the weak. Yang is to win & yin is to lose.
According to Sun Tzu, The Art of War, what is strong is weak. In one battle, if the enemy is strong in the front, they are weak in the back. If they are strong in the back, they are weak in the front. If they are strong in the front and the back, they are weak in the two sides. If they are strong in the two sides, they are weak in the front and the back. If they are strong four sides, because they stretch in four sides, then they are weak in four sides. The strong is the weak and to win is to lose. Strength is weakness or yang is yin.

User avatar
laotan
Posts: 323
Joined: Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:09 pm

Re: More about yin and yang.

Post by laotan »

taoistfriend wrote:Strength is also weakness. If you sing well, I invite you sing karaoke, you like me. If you like me, I may take advantage of you. Being a king of one hundred battles, win one hundred is a catastrophe. Chinese ancient literature tells us : Once Nguy Van Hau, a king, as Ly Khac, his official:”What is the cause for the Ngo state to be perished ?” Ly Khac answered immediately:”One hundred battles, win one hundred.” Nguy Van Hau was confused. Ly Khac explained:”One hundred battles, people become exhausted. Winning one hundred times, the king become arrogant. An arrogant king rules exhausted people, surely fail.” The strong changes into the weak. Yang is to win & yin is to lose.
According to Sun Tzu, The Art of War, what is strong is weak. In one battle, if the enemy is strong in the front, they are weak in the back. If they are strong in the back, they are weak in the front. If they are strong in the front and the back, they are weak in the two sides. If they are strong in the two sides, they are weak in the front and the back. If they are strong four sides, because they stretch in four sides, then they are weak in four sides. The strong is the weak and to win is to lose. Strength is weakness or yang is yin.
As ususal you are confused by the words you use. For example: yes, indeed, one hundred battles may lead to a bad issue on the plane of ruling the country, but a battle - which is also yang - may lead to victory (because people are not exhausted amd the leader not arrogrant). What is wrong here is too many battles! That is, too much yang! But yang itself doesn't change in yin.
Another mistake: you say
yang is to win and yin is to lose
. This is absolutely wrong. Do you know why?

Post Reply