Taoism Short Faq

Here you can talk about the main Taoist topics such as Tao, Yin-Yang, Wu, Wu-Wei.

Moderator: laotan

laotan

Taoism Short Faq

Post by laotan »

Tao means Way. Taoism is the Way of Nature and also the Way of the sage who emulate the course of Nature.

Te - translated characteristics. Points to the phenomenology of the Tao. The way Tao manifests itself. Its many "faces".

Yin-Yang, related to the Tao, are the basic opposite forces that rule the Universe.

Wu - translated emptiness, points to the mind seen an empty vessel.

Wu-Wei - the action without desire.

Tao-te ching - the Classic of the Way and its Characteristics (according to Legge's translation of the title), written by Lao-tzu, it is the Bible of Taoism.

Lance

Re: Taoism Short Faq

Post by Lance »

Helpful and succint. Thank you, Laotan. :)

morning

Post by morning »

Wu-Wei – doing things as naturally as possible, issuing orders as few as possible and interfering with people’s life as little as possible.

morning

Post by morning »

Yin-Yang is the law of the unity of opposites. They are by no means isolated but are mutually interdependent.

laotan

Re: Taoism Short Faq/wu-wei

Post by laotan »

morning wrote:Wu-Wei – doing things as naturally as possible, issuing orders as few as possible and interfering with people’s life as little as possible.
And what you mean by naturally? Do you know what is natural and what is not? I tell you that wu-wei means interfering with people and things, and doing a lot of deeds or issuing rules, and so forth - everything is governed by the Tao. Or going with the flow - as Alan Watts said.

RyzeConnect

Post by RyzeConnect »

Bringing some life back to this thread, to me everything is natural, there is no not-natural :)

Arthur

laotan

Post by laotan »

Still what about the wu-wei?

WelshTao

Post by WelshTao »

always nice to have a brief explanation :)

entropy1

Post by entropy1 »

If I go the way of action without desire they call me crazy and put me away :(