Helpful Books and Videos

Online resources: sites, books, e-books, courses...

Moderator: laotan

Danae

Helpful Books and Videos

Post by Danae »

Hi Everyone,
I had a great deal of trouble understanding the Tao Te Ching with commentary. I kept looking and buying books. I found one that helps me apply the Tao to my life. I'd like to share the title of that book and ask that others share the titles of books and videos that they found helpful to them.

The book that helps me is:
The Tao of Daily Life, by Derek Lin

laotan

Re: Helpful Books and Videos

Post by laotan »

Danae wrote:Hi Everyone,
I had a great deal of trouble understanding the Tao Te Ching with commentary. I kept looking and buying books. I found one that helps me apply the Tao to my life. I'd like to share the title of that book and ask that others share the titles of books and videos that they found helpful to them.

Perhaps it is more interesting to know how do you apply the Tao to your life.

Seantzu72

Re: Helpful Books and Videos

Post by Seantzu72 »

Danae wrote:Hi Everyone,

The book that helps me is:
The Tao of Daily Life, by Derek Lin
Thanks for the recommendation, I will pick it up soon. "Hello" back by the way Danae.

Danae

Re: Helpful Books and Videos/laotan

Post by Danae »

laotan said; Perhaps it is more interesting to know how do you apply the Tao to your life.

Perhaps it is more interesting and important also.
I believe that to apply the wisdom of the Tao to daily life, one must understand the wisdom of the Tao. Then one must live mindfully and observe everything around them with clarity so they can handle their daily situations using the wisdom of the Tao. That's how I apply the wisdom of the Tao to my daily life. I know that I don't know every wisdom of the Tao, but I use what I know at the moment, and I am on the journey to learn more.

Danae

Re: Helpful Books and Videos/Seanzu72

Post by Danae »

Seanzu72 said; Thanks for the recommendation, I will pick it up soon. "Hello" back by the way Danae.

Hello Sean,
Thank you for your "Hello" back at me ;)
I hope you enjoy "The Tao of Daily Living" as much as I do. I find myself referring to it when situations come up that leave me feeling uneasy or unsure. The amazing thing is that each time I read one of the stories, I gain more wisdom of the Tao.

I hope forum members will suggest other books that will help us all on our journey. I've been looking for a translation of the Tao Te Ching with commentary that is written for people like me, who need to have things explained in simple, clear, concise language.

In the mean time I use, "The Tao of Daily Life" which seems to be specifically written for people like me. I'm very glad I found it, because much of what I read concerning Tao Te Ching goes right over my head. I usually have to search for more explanations of what it means. I don't always find them, so it can get frustrating

laotan

Re: wisdom of Tao

Post by laotan »

Danae wrote:laotan said; Perhaps it is more interesting to know how do you apply the Tao to your life.

Perhaps it is more interesting and important also.
I believe that to apply the wisdom of the Tao to daily life, one must understand the wisdom of the Tao. Then one must live mindfully and observe everything around them with clarity so they can handle their daily situations using the wisdom of the Tao. That's how I apply the wisdom of the Tao to my daily life. I know that I don't know every wisdom of the Tao, but I use what I know at the moment, and I am on the journey to learn more.
Can you provide any example of life event when you applied the wisdom of Tao?

Danae

Post by Danae »

laotan wrote; Can you provide any example of life event when you applied the wisdom of Tao?

Yes, laotan. There are many examples and it's difficult to pick one, but here is one for you.

I used to be very unhappy. From the Tao I learned that my unhappiness is caused by my unrealistic desires, expectations and attachments. While living mindfully and observing everything around me clearly, I realized that my unhappiness with one particular person was due to my unrealistic expectations of them. I was expecting them to make intelligent decisions, even though I knew they weren't intelligent. So one day I decided I didn't want to be unhappy with them anymore. I decided to accept that person as they are without having unrealistic expectations of them. After seeing that person for what they are, my unhappiness with that person left me. And I'm now able see all people for what they are without having unrealistic expectations of them. That ability allows me to have more peace in my life and be much happier than ever before.

laotan

Re: Tao wisdom

Post by laotan »

Danae wrote:laotan wrote; Can you provide any example of life event when you applied the wisdom of Tao?

Yes, laotan. There are many examples and it's difficult to pick one, but here is one for you.

I used to be very unhappy. From the Tao I learned that my unhappiness is caused by my unrealistic desires, expectations and attachments. While living mindfully and observing everything around me clearly, I realized that my unhappiness with one particular person was due to my unrealistic expectations of them. I was expecting them to make intelligent decisions, even though I knew they weren't intelligent. So one day I decided I didn't want to be unhappy with them anymore. I decided to accept that person as they are without having unrealistic expectations of them. After seeing that person for what they are, my unhappiness with that person left me. And I'm now able see all people for what they are without having unrealistic expectations of them. That ability allows me to have more peace in my life and be much happier than ever before.
It's a good example but doesn't necessart point to Tao wisdom but to the general human wisdom. The Tao wisdom is more specific and linked with a philosophy of life based on some inspired insight on the course of events.

Danae

Post by Danae »

laotan wrote; It's a good example but doesn't necessart point to Tao wisdom but to the general human wisdom. The Tao wisdom is more specific and linked with a philosophy of life based on some inspired insight on the course of events.

To believe that every wisdom must be based on inspired insights in the course of events is unrealistic. Tao stories show the Tao wisdom hitting the student like a ton of bricks and coming about because of inspired insight. They are written that way to make a point. Life is much less dramatic. We have the benefit of learning from the characters in the story by understanding their inspired insight. I do not believe it is necessary that we have inspired insight in order to learn the lesson, know the wisdom and apply it to our daily lives. A slow steady current of water can create the permanent change, that a swift and brief flow can not.

laotan

Post by laotan »

Danae wrote:laotan wrote; It's a good example but doesn't necessart point to Tao wisdom but to the general human wisdom. The Tao wisdom is more specific and linked with a philosophy of life based on some inspired insight on the course of events.

To believe that every wisdom must be based on inspired insights in the course of events is unrealistic. Tao stories show the Tao wisdom hitting the student like a ton of bricks and coming about because of inspired insight. They are written that way to make a point. Life is much less dramatic. We have the benefit of learning from the characters in the story by understanding their inspired insight. I do not believe it is necessary that we have inspired insight in order to learn the lesson, know the wisdom and apply it to our daily lives. A slow steady current of water can create the permanent change, that a swift and brief flow can not.
Indeed Taoism is based on insight when first emerged from superstitions. I am sorry but I must stress on this.